Monday, July 29, 2013

As Jeff Foxworthy would say… True stuff is the funniest


Last night my husband and I decided to go out to dinner at our all time favorite restaurant. Having a lull in our conversation, I decided to bounce a few ideas off him for my current WIP. Not coming up with anything new, I brought up his suggestion from a few days earlier of killing off my main character at the end of the book.

Revisiting this topic, I told him it would never work. I explained that in classic story telling, there NEEDED to be a more agreeable ending.

To this he replied, “Make the ending in the next book more agreeable.”

Even though I’ve never considered there being a “next book,” I thought about it for a minute, shook my head no and said, “What next book? I already killed everyone.”

It was then that the waitress who was serving a man seated directly behind my husband, stumbled and almost fell. As I tried to convince myself that it was all a coincidence, I couldn’t help but notice that the man at the table was now sitting very rigid.

Seeing my expression, my husband asked me what was wrong. Letting the waitress finish up and walk away, I told him what had happened. Just when I got to the part of repeating what I’d said about how I’d already killed everyone, a waiter, who was now behind me, jerked his head up and looked our direction.

Even though we had gotten very good service, up to that point, the staff seemed to avoid our table for the rest of our meal.

Long story short, if you are a fiction writer, be VERY careful when and where you decide to talk about your books, especially if they involve murder. BTW, if you happen to be from the OKC area, could you recommend a good Tex-Mex restaurant? Even though I’ve eaten at this one for 30 years, I’m not sure I will be able to go back. J  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment