Wednesday, November 2, 2011

NaNoWriMo


It has begun. What is “it,” you ask? National Novel Writing Month. Apparently, I’ve been living under a rock, because I’d never heard of this most awesome event until yesterday. But it was started in 1999, and last year over 200,000 writers participated! The goal is to write 50,000 words (around 175 pages) between November 1st and November 30th.
As I have discovered, sometimes the hardest part of writing a novel is actually putting words on the page. I’m a bit OCD, and if I can’t think of the perfect word, I’ll simply stare at the blank screen, accomplishing nothing. For hours. But participants in NaNoWriMo don’t have time for that. Simply getting ideas on paper is a huge step in the right direction for any aspiring author. After all, when you do think of the *perfect* word, you can always go back and delete the mediocre word you’d used earlier. If you’d like to participate in NaNoWriMo, sign up at http://www.nanowrimo.org/ for support, feedback, and an official word count. I can’t guarantee I’ll reach 50k, (That’s a lot of words people!) but I am hard at work on my next novel, and I promise I’m trying to mend my wicked OCD writing ways.   

No comments:

Post a Comment